Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Leap

The girl who sits within this room,
You do not know at all.
Six months ago when she wrote last,
Three months before her fall.
Three people I have been this year,
None of the three alike.
Summer, fall, and present each the
First, second, third strike.

A stranger to me, practically,
He saw into my heart.
I couldn't fool Him with facade,
Not even from the start.
A smile in my direction once
Or twice was all it took,
To know I was remembered here:
A page in someone's book.
When all else failed and finally
I was prepared to flee,
I stopped and saw Him there and turned
My back on Tennessee.
If I could mark the one thing that
He did to save me then:
He cared enough to listen to me
When I called again.


The same hometown, we never spoke
A word before that day,
But somehow I innately knew
That in my heart She'd stay.
Never once with second thought,
She offered me Her days;
She saw through lies and tear-dried eyes
And each distracted gaze.
With open ears and caring heart,
She nursed me through each week,
Directed me to each new face,
When I still feared to speak.
In making sure I always had
Something to get me by,
She saved me from myself, She was
The first to hear my cry.

and then I took a flying leap.

Bound by old relationships
My eyes were blinded fast
My mind collapsed within itself
To parasite the past.
A sick subject of puppetry
Ruled by no one but self,
The shell of my own entity
Displayed upon the shelf.
Definition inhaled from
A life in other lands,
Unaware that answers were
Within my own, pale hands.
I cut the strings that held me there,
And brought myself to life
To let all things resolve themselves,
No longer slave to strife.

(Original 2009)

No comments:

Post a Comment